11.22.2004: Special - Marine Recruit Christmas Letter Project
You can't believe what this does for these guys. They wake up that morning to what will most likely be just another boring day as they wait to heal. When they come back from morning chow and see us waiting there with big smiles and hugs, well, the transformation is amazing.
Our son - a Marine for two years - STILL runs into guys in the field who remember us visiting them on a past Christmas morning! It makes that much of an impact.
And you can be part of that impact - in a very simple way!
These patriotic holiday stockings are filled with items that have been donated from various sources. The recruits receive phone cards, envelopes, stamps, note pads, and pens. But the key gift in this stocking is a bundle of letters that we collect from children all over the country. Last year each recruit had 12 letters in their stocking. That is over 8000 letters(!), so we would love your help with that.
Maybe your school and/or church can make this a holiday project? Following are simple guidelines for the letters:
- Notes, letter, pictures and cards accepted.
- Address letters to Dear Recruit.
- Envelope for each letter/drawing is not necessary - send it all in one package to the address below.
- Mark the back of each note with a classroom sticker or stamp with the school address, if they hope for return mail from recruits.
- - No personal return addresses.
Please ship the letters to one of the following addresses (whichever one is closest to you) by December 6:
in advance for your support of our project. We can make the holiday
season just a little better for these recruits, who so desire to serve